Friday, November 11, 2011

Quick 5 #8

1. Happy 11-11-11! That may just be the coolest date in history. I might write a check today, just so I can write today's date.

2. Living in a military community, Veteran's Day seems more meaningful than it was growing up in a small town where most of the veterans served in WWII or Vietnam. I now know hundreds of active duty and retired servicemen and servicewomen, and I see the dozens of sacrifices they and their families make on a daily basis.

I'm grateful not only to those who have given their lives for my freedom, but to those who have survived combat to endure the rest of their lives with disabilities or agonizing memories and constant nightmares about the things they saw.

I'm also grateful to those who haven't seen combat, but have sacrificed living near their families, endured the frustrations of Tri-Care and military red tape, have willingly moved more times than they can count, and have lived with TDY's and deployments. Not sure how many veterans read my blog, but I'll say a big THANK YOU to Kellen and Jenny and Josh and Erin and anyone else who serves or has served.

3. Last night I gave the boys haircuts. I recently bought a haircut cape (for free with my Swagbucks), and it made all the difference! Micah didn't cry at all and he was very patient. Eli still had a hard time, but it was much better than before. Why didn't I get one of these years ago?

4. Tonight is our annual "Boasting in the Lord" women's event at church. Basically, it's a potluck of desserts and we hear testimonies from women in our church. I love this event! Delicious treats and encouragement--what could be better?

5. Micah insists that there's a baby in his tummy. He's said things like, "Hmmm, what should I name it?" and, "The baby in my tummy is making me feel sick, too. Can I have some hard candy, too?" This morning I overheard Josh explaining that Micah can't have a baby in his tummy because he's a boy, and only girls can have babies in their tummies. Apparently, he was kind of disappointed to find this out. Josh said, "You'll be grateful for that fact when you're older, son." Ha ha ha ha ha!

No comments: